Monday, November 29, 2010

Parade Means Christmas

We, and about half the population of this city, had a pretty good time at the St. John's Santa Claus Parade yesterday afternoon. Sean's cadet corp were again marching, wearing santa hats and carrying candy canes instead of rifles. Now if only all military around the world would learn from their example it would be a peaceful Christmas.

It was a warmer than average 7C (44F) but threatening rain. The floats were pretty much the same as last year...Shriners driving about in crazy little cars, a cowboy and cowgirl on horseback, wee Shetland ponies and a float representing the John Howard Society and Her Majesties Penitentiary with large boxes on top with children standing inside those boxes (honestly, I haven't figured that one out yet). There were various dog groups...the SPCA were there as was the Beagle group, the Greyhound rescue group and a bunch of wiener dogs with their sweater-clad bellies inches from the wet ground. All of this sets off alarms for me that the holiday season is finally here (not in September, as Costco or Walmart would have you believe) and I've got to start shopping for gifts and getting the place looking Christmassy.

Speaking of Christmassy things...I shall now link you to Listen to the Voices, the blog of Erin Cole who, along with Jodi MacArthur, are soon putting out a holiday catalogue for writers to pimp their wares promote their stories, novels, etc. Remember...Christmas is on the way and why fret about what to get for people. Give the gift of books...Despite the Nov. 28 deadline on her blog, I have heard rumour (via a little bird) that she will accept your story information (ie. photo, link, short written pimpage) for the next couple of days. So drop by her blog for information on how to get into the catalogue.

11 comments:

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Those Shriner cars always make me smile. Good luck to you and Erin!

Jhon Baker said...

ah yes, the annual trek into the attic to fetch out all the holiday things. ugh, so many lights, why don't I just throw them away every year and buy new untangled ones?

EC said...

Yes, canes are better than guns.
Thanks for PR - your book looks great in the list!

Karen from Mentor said...

I realized with horror on Saturday morning that I didn't see ANY of the Macy's Day Thanksgiving parade this year. It's not a patch on what it used to be, but there are still enough floats to ooh and ah at while making fun of the stuff in between.

I would have LOVED to go to your Christmas Parade. The wee Shetland ponies would have been the highlight for me.

I just found a theater showing "It's A Wonderful Life" on a big screen. Since I missed the parade, I'm going to start my holiday celebrations off with that. I LOVE that movie and have never seen it other than on tv.

December is looking good....

[be careful up on the roof stringing your lights]
:0)

Katey said...

That is a really beautiful Christmas Tree they're using for that cover--or whatever. Mmmm gorgeousness.

Aaron Polson said...

Brrrr...warmer than average?

John Wiswell said...

I'd like to go to a Canadian Christmas parade. Will you put me up some year, Alan?

Danielle Birch said...

You can have some of our warmth :) I would be happy to pass it along. Speaking of rain, we got rained out of Carols by Candlelight in Sunday night. It was all good until the downpour.

David Barber said...

I'm just loving this time of year, Alan. The parades and Christmas light switch on celebrations. Getting all the decorations out this week. The kids would have had me put them up weeks ago.

Got a couple of stories up myself at the mo. Info on my last two posts.

Regards.

David Barber said...

P.s. Snowed in. We've had about 18 inches of the white stuff over the last few days. Unbelievable!!

Alan W. Davidson said...

Cathy- The shriners are always a laugh in the parade. Oh, and the publication is Erin's and Jodi's BTW.

Jhon- I hear ya, brother. Four years ago we bought one of those trees with the lights already on it. Sure, it's less traditional but it's a whole lot easier!

Erin- Thanks. The catalogue looks great!

Karen- Yeah, the parade is REALLY cold but fun. If you were to check out a Canadian parade I think the major cities would put on better shows (London has theirs at night with floats lit up)...and 'It's a Wonderful Life' has to be watched every Christmas.

Katey- I thought the same thing about their book tree.

Aaron- The tought part about the weather is you're at the parade for a couple of hours and you don't want to drink anything warm coz then you've got to find a bathroom...pretty scarce downtown on a SUnday.

John- Sure, we'll keep the guest room open for next year's parade. Bring your parka...

Danielle- I'm sure that Christmas in Oz is an entirely different experience...shrimp on the barby and all of that!

David- Yeah, you're keeping busy with stories these days. Imagine how much snow you'll have by February! You need to borrow some of the Canadian snow removal equipment.