Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Goodness

Happy Memorial Day to all of my US friends.

I would like to redirect you to three blogs in particular that honour and celebrate Memorial Day. Anthony Venutolo at Bukowski's Basement and Michele Emrath at Southern City Mysteries both present excellent tributes to fallen soldiers of the past.

Cathy Olliffe at Life on the Muskoka River is celebrating Memorial Day (Yes, even though she's Canadian) with the kick-off of her 'All-American' weeks featuring a number of US writers. Rumour has it she has a shocking and bizarre photo posted with her opening feature. Guaranteed you won't want to miss that...

Please take a moment to check out these talented writers and bloggers. Especially if you are American. Remember...Uncle AlanSam wants you!

11 comments:

John Wiswell said...

Happy Memorial Day, my Scotch-Canadian friend.

Can I call you Scotch-Canadian? With how delightful the term sounds, can I now stop myself from calling everyone Scotch-Canadian?

Kara McElhinny said...

Thanks for the Links Alan!

Enjoy your day :D

EC said...

Thanks for the links, Alan.
Love that new blog pic - ice bergs, especially that close up, are strangely eerie to me.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks John! No...you say Scots or Scottish-Canadian (Scotch is the alcohol, as in Vodka-Canadian).

Your welcome, Kara. Hope the holiday weekend has been a good one.

You are also welcome, Erin. It's funny you should say that about the iceberg...that chunk of ice inspired a story I had up at MicroHorror last year.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Hey Alan! I had already seen Anthony's amazing slideshow but followed your link to Michele Emrath's beautiful post. Thanks, I really enjoyed it.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

I want to ask a stupid tourist question: will there be icebergs in September?

Aaron Polson said...

Hey...you and Uncle Sam? Scary. Almost as scary as an iceberg...holy *bleep* that's a huge hunk o' ice.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great PR, Alan...

Alan W. Davidson said...

Cathy- Re. stupid tourist question...No icebergs in September. It's normally about April-May. A bit longer up north (I've only seen 4 seasons, Laurita could better verify that). This year, nothing in the St. John's area. You could possible see whales into September, but less likely as you get to the end of the month (again, Laurita would know better I think).

Aaron- I thought the same thing. Scary (though it could be a good costume idea for halloween). The ice comes in all sizes and shapes. Floating art.

Katey said...

Haha that was awesome, Alan :D

Laura Eno said...

Loved your post over on Cathy's blog! Sorry I picked on you... :)