Friday, April 23, 2010

Wanna Know What Day it is?

I realized that our garbage collection had shifted by one day this week due to the civic holiday last Monday. What holiday? My wife explained that it was St. George's Day (today) and the workers got the day off. I looked it up on Wikipedia and discovered today (April 23) was the national holiday of England. Many in Newfoundland also get St. Patrick's Day and Orangeman's Day off. For the record, I work for an Ontario company and, in fact, get none of those days off. I got to thinking "how can I make today special?"

I therefore declare today "Pantsless Friday". A day where I must continue to labour to make money to put food on the table; a day where I can relax, "let it all hang out" as it were...


On a side note, I went to the kitchen at 6:45am this morning and squinted while looking out the south-facing window into the back yard. Something was amiss. It occurred to me that the sun was now rising in the east. And I could actually see it. I think it's the first time in about 10 days we've seen the sun here on the Avalon Peninsula. I could even see that annoying black garbage bag that's been caught up in the branches of our maple tree since last fall. What an inspiring day. I thought to myself again (yes, twice in one day) that perhaps I should shave off my beard for a change. That would be silly looking, though, as I've still got a bit of a tan from my vacation. Instead I'll link you to a post from last summer where I included photos of myself with both my beard and my hair shaved off. Must have took 40 years off me...

Speaking of beards and moustaches...I ran into the graphic below at the blog this is my perfect crime by Seamus Hefferman (click on this to enlarge, I hope). You only need to read 3 or 4 posts into his blog to discover his sly humour. The chart rates the trustworthiness of beards and moustaches. Hmm, where do I fall on the list...





17 comments:

Laurita said...

That beard char is hilarious. I think you would fall under full beard, which makes you very trustworthy - or is that just a ploy? Hmmm. Personally, I like beards, but wow did you look different without it!

Pantsless Friday made me choke on my tea. I could hear Homer Simpson: "Don't you hate pants?"

This was a fun post. :)

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

I just hope for the skin on your arse's sake that your chair isn't vinyl.

Aaron Polson said...

Egad! Pantsless Friday around here would frighten me right out of the profession.

Kat said...

Pantsless Friday, you say? Hmmm...Might cause a ruckus at work...But I'm in! Lmao!

As if. ;D

Elspeth Futcher said...

It's also Shakespeare's birthday. So, "what ho, my good man, where art thy breeches? Forsooth, there must be breezes about thy legs."

Katey said...

Oh god, I love the nicknames for the beards... that is amazing. I'd assume yours is fairly trustworthy though. Really.

Pants are totally overrated.

kathryn said...

I can totally appreciate the "no-pants day"...but I'm not sitting on that chair after you. And let's just hope that the garbage men don't decide to try the same holiday. Way too much information...

As for the facial hair? I've always said that it adds 15 years, easily...

PS: I'll give you a million-trillion dollars if you'll lose the word verification! I almost lost this comment!

Cate Gardner said...

Hey, we didn't get today off and I could have done with it... Dragons to slay, yada, yada.

Fox Lee said...

Revel in your pantless-ness, but show common sense. No walking too close to curious cats or oscillating fans.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Laurita- Perhaps just a ploy...actually, I've had a beard since grade 11 in school. Homer is my hero.

Cathy- All the hair acts as a buffer.

Aaron- There's probably rules about that anyway. It's right after the chapter on what books are to be cencored.

Kat- Your such a rebel. Tell me what police department to send the bail money to!

Elspeth- "Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!" That would be King Lear. Act III, scene II (no, I didn't know it off by heart)

...Of course many would interpret that quote as something different these days, especially after a night of Mexican food.

Katey- Yes, my beard is trustworthy. I tried a goatee but it didn't suit me. My face seems too 'round' for that. I'm glad you think they are overrated. Next Friday, you can join the club!

Kathryn- Yep, there are a few about here I'd beg not to participate in Pantsless Friday. Picture all those people in Manhattan, on the subway, participating in this! Hey... a million-trillion, that's quite a bit of money. There was a time is was worth about $20 Canadian.

Cate- What's up with that? People in England. The home of St. George. Not getting today off?
You must slay the dragons on your own time!

Nat- I shall take your advise and stay away from such things. Especially when they really pique my curiosity.

Karen from Mentor said...

I just call it Friday.

LOVED the before and after photos of you.
In the bearded one with your face scrunched up you look just like an ewok.
[outs self as a geek]
Made my evening.
:0)

Rebecca Nazar said...

LOL "Pantless Friday" it is. My kids are going to love this.

Genevieve Jack said...

Pant-less friday is only good if you are not working with sharp or burning objects. Just sayin' Where I live, the children get off of school for Casimir Pulaski Day. Nobody knows who he was or why there's no school. The adults still have to work on this day thus causing a childcare nightmare. Everyone has to keep their pants on.

I think St. George's day sounds more fun.

Laura Eno said...

I don't want to touch the keyboard of that pantsless guy...just sayin'

Your before and after photos were great! It's amazing how much our hair defines our looks.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Karen- Ewok? Thanks, you geek! Glad I can be the source of such amusement.

Becca- Perhaps it will catch on in all workplaces.

GP- Casimir Who? I hear ya about the sharp objects. I'm sure the St. Georges thing is more fun, what with the slaying of dragons and all of that...

Laura- He, he, he...I wouldn't touch it either. And about the hair defining looks I agree. I'm kinda attached to mine.

K.C. Shaw said...

I love the idea of pantsless Friday. If you have to work, at least be comfortable. :)

Akasha Savage. said...

I much prefer you with a beard!

I can't believe that April 23rd is not a national holiday here in England...I always feel like just taking the day off from work!!