Friday, October 30, 2009

All Dressed Up...

My wife has the day off and will be spending some of this afternoon trying to get Sean's halloween costume together for their cadet dance tonight. I think he could care less about the costume and would show up in his 'civvies', but I'm encouraging him to participate and not be flaky like I was at that age.

I believe that we have the workings for a Hannibal Lecter costume. He has a quality to his voice (Sean) when he delivers the infamous line about Chianti and fava beans...

I haven't done the 'dress-up for halloween thing' since I was a kid. I did dress up in a white paint suit from work for the Santa Claus parade a few years ago. You know the scene: walk along with the float and hand-out candy to the kids (this, of course, differs from my childhood when they pitched the candy at the kids waiting along the sidewalk.) Oh, and there was the time in school that I dressed up in a full body cat outfit in the gym...but that's another story.

I present to you the top 5 costumes that I would wear, in no particular order, should I ever participate in this special time of year.

Yep, Captain Jack Sparrow. What's not to love about the dreds and cool beard!


Ahh, the aforementioned Lecter. My son might have the voice down, but not the glassy-eyed look indicative of folks partying too long.



Sometimes the original is the best. I think that I could pull this off as I've done the shaved-head thing before.

Our friend Pee Wee...OK, so that's a little weird. Don't worry, I won't touch that one...


So what guy that grew up in the '70's didn't want to be the Fonz? Except in Canada, he would be ending his sentences in Eh?

What costumes would you pick? Feel free to throw your picks up on your blogs...

Have a great halloween tomorrow night. Watch out for creepy people.

9 comments:

Rebecca Nazar said...

Let's see, nothing scary. Silly is more my bag. I'd go as either Tigger, a cupcake or Chico Marx.

Aaron Polson said...

I'll send a picture Sunday or Monday of the whole clan. We're going as Legos.

Cate Gardner said...

I spent most of last weekend trying to persuade my nephew to dress up as The Crow, but he was adamant that he wanted to be a gorilla. I should eat a poisoned apple and turn into a zombie Snow White tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I'd claim I was going as the invisible man, then stay at home.

Fox Lee said...

My favorites were "Jason" and "Death." Good times : )

Alan W. Davidson said...

Becca-I bet you'd make a great Chico!

Aaron-Ha! Those pictures will be very post-worthy.

Cate-A zombie Snow White would be a very original idea.

Anton-Wall flower. You said so yourself, you've got the makings of Uncle Fester.

Natalie-Halloween must be like your Christmas...

Laura Eno said...

I always (used) to dress up like Elvira. The costume wouldn't look as good anymore. A female version of Jack Sparrow might be fun though.

Laurita said...

I remember the days when Zorro would have been considered a cool costume. Most kids nowadays probably wouldn't even know who Zorro is. You can never go wrong with pirate.

For what it's worth, I miss the days of the candy flinging too. Santa parades just aren't the same when you don't have to duck.

K.C. Shaw said...

My favorite costume ever was one I borrowed from a friend of my mom's friend when I was seven or eight: The Cookie Monster! It was completely awesome, but it was made of fake blue fur and was really hot. I remember climbing out of it and being drenched with sweat. But I did love it.

I always end up dressing as a witch, though, for some reason. I am currently dressed as a witch.

Happy Halloween!