Sunday, August 23, 2009

Wet and Windy

The sign, of course, is not referring to Mr. Clinton (who was here speaking a couple of months ago) but to Hurricane Bill, which is marching up the Atlantic coast. He will be introducing himself to Newfoundland, though, as the diminished Tropical Storm Bill. Those of us living at Land's Edge are huddling together tonight, under our furs, in our log cabins and melting igloos. We go through the ritual of preparing for these situations 2 or 3 times a year, although they are no where near as dangerous as when they hit the coasts of say, Florida or the Carolinas.

Preparing is not such a big deal for me...I'll be mowing the lawn (nothing says "welcome" as much as neatly trimmed dandelion and clover) and putting patio furniture and garbage bins away. More of a concern is that our son is off for another week-long camp tonight about 30min. away in Manuals. The kids sleep in covered wagons (yes, like in a John Wayne western...but not as structurally sound). I think, though, that there are beds in an in-door facility so the kids will probably be spending the night there. I'm sure there will be 70 sets of parents inquiring about this. Anyhow, I've started to ramble again. Yes, I'm still drinking the cough syrup like it was a fine wine. Wish I could shake this cold. Umm, I'll attach a photo (above) to prove to all that I'm fine, and well prepared for the wet and windy weather ahead.

14 comments:

Katey said...

Love the hat!

I would've loved a camp where I got to sleep in a covered wagon as a kid-- structurally sound or not.

Here's hoping you feel better soon, man. Crap weather and a cold at the same time is just too much :/

Katey said...

PS - Whoa your quote of the day is by James Madison today. History Nerd Glee!

Laura Eno said...

Love the hat! Hope you're feeling better soon.

I live in Florida, so I sympathize with your weather watch.

By the way, you've been linked into my blog post today. :) I wrote about following the "Lovely Blog" award.

Fox Lee said...

Your head does look supremely protected!

Cate Gardner said...

Stay safe.

Aaron Polson said...

Hunker down and enjoy the storm (as much as possible). Be safe, most of all.

Danielle Birch said...

Hope you and the weather improve soon. Meanwhile, here in Oz we're experiencing a freakish winter heat wave. Meh.

Jameson T. Caine said...

Love the picture.

Stay dry, warm and safe.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks for the well wishes, all. Monday morning here, storm started as a lot of wind, rain and a touch of thunder and lightning. Trees and fence still standing. Have heard of no damages on the news. They always seem to overestimate in the advanced warning.

Son dropped off at camp yesterday afternoon. They were still planning on staying in the covered wagons...wonder if they moved inside when the thunder and lightning happened? Umm, the yellow hat...sort of like a rubber duckie split open and wrapped around my head.

Laura, thanks for the link!

Unknown said...

Batten down the hatches!

Akasha Savage. said...

No wonder parents all get grey hair: having children is a worry; especially when they insist on growing up and goong places on their own! I'm sure your son will be fine.

Love the hat!!

K.C. Shaw said...

We've been having freakish cold weather and rain as Bill sweeps his way north. I hope by the time he gets to you, he's too tired to do more than spit a little rain and wave a gentle breeze around.

Laura Eno said...

Hi Alan,
I have an award waiting for you to pick up from my site. :)
Laura

Anonymous said...

I live smack in the middle of the desert, so this is a completely different lifestyle to me. How cool! And dangerous and horrible at times, I assume, but so awesome!! Stay safe.

-Mercedes