Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Day at the Circus


I recall going to the travelling circus as a child in our local arena. The animals, the clowns and trapeze artists were all integral to the show. Years have past--lets not talk of how many :) and as an adult I couldn't see myself going to those shows that use animals like that anymore.


The new era of performance is the Cirque du Soleil. My family and I had a great time today at the local arena watching an extravaganza of sight and sound. The show Alegria (according to our friends at Wikipedia) is about the misuse of power, but also a story of hope and perseverance. I have pasted on a couple of images to give you a feel of the show. If you get to a major centre that has a Cirque show, or if the travelling show comes to your city, take advantage and go see it...you won't regret it!

6 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Its a festival of packages in spandex : )

Cate Gardner said...

I've never been a huge fan of circuses - creepy places. Maybe, that's why they turn up in my stories.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Yes, I'd have to say that some of the costumes didn't leave much to the imagination. The program mentioned that their Vegas show Zumanity is described as "the sensual side of Cirque du Soleil". And yes, Cate, there were enough clowns in heavy make-up to make it sufficiently creepy...going to have to start thinking horror story...

Helen Ginger said...

I've been wanting to go see a Cirque du Soleil performance. I'm glad to hear it's worth going to.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Susan Cross said...

Every time someone I know is coming to Orlando, I tell them Disney is good but Cirque due Soleil La Nouba is better. So far nobody pays any attention. It is worth every penny the first time you see it, the second time, etc. I haven't seen the show you did, I think that's the traveling show. La Nouba is 'permanently' here in Orlando. I wrote an article about the conductor for this month's Lifestyles Magazine. www.centralflorida-lifestyle.com. What a great guy! One of a kind.

Alan W. Davidson said...

I've been to see the travelling shows that have been here twice. One of these days I'll get to a city with a permanent show (and have the admission price in my pocket).